Women are participating and excelling in all walks of life now. They are our leaders, doctors, astronauts, CEOs of successful organizations, and so on. They have proven time and again that they are just as good at getting things done as men.
Yet in a country like ours, where women have faced oppression for years, their health is still being taken for granted. People are still reluctant to buy health insurance designed specifically for women. Generic health insurance plans cannot appropriately cover the specific needs of women. There are several ailments that do not even affect the male population. It is only fair that women should be provided with customized healthcare facilities.
What the general population does not know, is that women are more prone to life-threatening diseases such as breast cancer, cervical cancer, diabetes, heart conditions, etc. Also, critical conditions like arthritis and osteoporosis are more likely to affect women. Let us not forget, women solely bare the pain and consequences of bringing new life into this world.
Keeping this in mind, several companies in India have launched some women specific health insurance plans, which cover the various illnesses that can be contracted. Some specific policies even cover the maternity and new born care expenses. It is a shame to say that necessary as these precautions may be; they are not that extensively purchased in this country of ours.
Advantages And Offers
Certain policies which are present in our country provide coverage over the following situations:-
- Free hospitalizations across India in a number of hospitals.
- Daily hospital cash benefit.
- Cosmetic surgeries for burn or accident victims.
- Income tax benefits under sec 80D.
- Post hospitalization care.
- Coverage for critical illnesses such as breast cancer, ovarian cancer, cervical cancer, and so on.
- If diagnosed with a serious illness, a working woman will be compensated if she has lost her salary for more than three months in a row.
- Congenital disabilities will entitle the woman to be compensated by up to 50% of the medical charges.
- Additional benefits include free health helpline care, discounts of regular check-ups and wellness centres.
Family members need to recognize the need to purchase insurance separately for a woman. Even normal life functions such as giving birth and caring for children can put heavy stress on both her personal and professional life. Till now, a woman’s health care has been tied up with the husband’s insurance. But now women are no longer only housewives and supporters. More and more women are joining the work force every day and now contribute to about 25% of the total work population. Though they get the same corporate insurance benefits as men do, there is no harm in going the extra mile for women’s health and well-being.
While purchasing a women specific health insurance, either for yourself or for a female in your family, always proceed with caution and make sure that all women related diseases are covered and maternity benefits are provided. Single and divorced women also benefit from insurance plans as they might have to look after themselves in times of dire crisis.